Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Molting Process....

molt (mlt)
v. molt·ed, molt·ing, molts
v.intr.
To shed periodically part or all of a coat or an outer covering, such as feathers, cuticle, or skin, which is then replaced by a new growth.
v.tr.
To shed or cast off (a bodily covering).
n.
1. The act or process of molting.
2. The material cast off during molting.


Something I am learning, the hard way no less, is that it is very difficult to move when you are weighed down with so much "baggage." Erykah Badu broke it down so clearly for us in 2000 with her hit "Bag Lady," and although I keep that song on repeat, you never truly understand the meaning until you go through it yourself.

I was flipping through the channels the other day and happened upon the Discovery Channel. There was an interesting documentary on about animals "shedding" or molting. Of course, I have seen and read of this process many times before, especially as an adolescent, but this time it brought on a different meaning.

Life is simply a molting process. The more we mature, the more shedding we release. Transitioning from a child to a teen, we released our love for dolls and cartoons and focused on our looks and friends. As a young adult, we began to focus on our lives and what directions we would take. And as an adult we focus more on our foundation and the impact we will make/leave. We are all familiar, however, with a few adults (in age) who have yet to molt mentally. But as we know, everyone goes through different processes.

With this process of mentally and physically maturing, for some, also comes the process of spiritual maturation. We began shedding our bad habits and actions for those that more reflect the spiritual guidance in which we follow.

"11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." - 1 Corinthians 13: 11

But when we shed them, are we really letting it all go, or are we still practicing those same ways, just in a better looking shell? A snake molts. When it molts however, do we see it as any less of a dangerous species? Often times if we spot the recently released skin of a molted snake, we panic for we know the snake could be near.

Do people look at us the same way? When we say we have changed, do people take a look back and proceed with caution because they are not certain if they are still dealing with the "old" us or the newly reformed us.

I ponder on this, because I, on my spiritual journey, have come to recognize so many individuals who abuse the association of a Christian. Just because you show up to church, sit on that pew (closest to the pulpit), sing your song and shed your tear, you are not immediately categorized as a Christian? Especially if you pick up the phone, only a few hours after that same service, to gossip about the service, what someone had on, looked like and talked to. And yes.....I am focusing on my family at this present moment; no need to look further. I am often disturbed to hear very grown individuals speak of other grown individuals as if they are on the playground arguing over juice boxes, snacks, slides and swings.

This is an example of the snake. Just because you have shedded outer layers, no inner layers came off with it.

I am learning this process day by day, and am blessed and honored to be surrounded by individuals who are also going through the molting processes: spiritually, mentally and physically. Dropping old habits, burdens and frustrations are truly easier said than done. And unfortunately (and fortunately) for us humans, our molting process can not complete in a matter of 3 - 7 days. As the wise saying goes....."it is a marathon, not a sprint."

The blessing for me, however is that I myself notice the inner and outer skin shedding and feeling a renewed me. I am releasing the "baggage." It is a joy and feeling of freedom in which I have never felt before. I misguided myself into thinking that by speaking it out of my life, that it would magically disappear. If you want something out of your life, or a significant change to take place, you have to take action against it.

I am grateful that my molting process isn't complete yet, and that God is still working on me. It can be painful at times, but yet it is one that reveals mighty blessings along the way: such as a renewed mind, body and spirit.

So what about you? Are you molting?

No comments:

Dear WNBA, If I May....

Yep, it's long, but bare with me.... Honestly, this has been a post two years in the making. Really, Jessica?? Two years?? Yes, because,...