Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"We Are Who We Choose to Be"



So I was introduced to this video of Will Smith being interviewed by Tavis Smiley, and it is quite powerful to say the least.

When you are in the transition phase of becoming an adult and designing a path for your life, it is a challenge. Most of the time the challenge comes from within ourselves, as in opposed to any external factors.

Will Smith said it PERFECTLY when he stated that we should just decide to be something and just be it. Stop letting others persuade you from being anything you are not. If you wish to be the best Mom, then be the best Mom. If you want to be the CEO, then be the CEO. You are your own obstacle in life. This life is way too short to continue to play the victim to someone else's insecurities. Be you and only you, for this is only life we have to live.

Another statement that really hit me like a ton of bricks, was "the goal is to not be an icon. The goal is to be an idea. An idea of possibilities and passion." At some point in our lives, I am certain we think of what impact we will have on this earth. For me, my goal is to not be googled one day nor be on some magazine cover. I simply want to be a representative of possibility, passion, hope and ambition. I want to be an example to someone, anyone in reaching their goals.

I just want to be an example to all of the other individuals from small towns to show them that dreaming big is not just a fantasy; it can become a reality. Is it easy? Not at all, but that just makes the reward so much greater.

I honestly didn't realize that my stress and struggles were an example to anyone else, until a complete stranger approached me last week. That conversation was a complete eye-opener for me. Here I am going through many tests to reach my goals, and someone on the outside looking in is seeing something different.

Realizing that what they were seeing was something that made them excited and hopeful, was odd to say the least, but very inspirational. So whomever you are and whatever you are doing, please know that other's (even complete strangers) are watching you and learning from you. So while you are going through your path in life, you are blazing the path for those coming behind you.

So what is the objective for your life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you girl ... do you!!!

Dear WNBA, If I May....

Yep, it's long, but bare with me.... Honestly, this has been a post two years in the making. Really, Jessica?? Two years?? Yes, because,...